Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Final Frontier

I was happy to learn that in that Google allows users who do not have Microsoft Office to make documents. It is fascinating to me to learn all these new technologies and what Google specifically has to offer. I'm not even that old, but it never seizes to amaze me how technology is constantly changing. 

From the article I learned that teachers are very reluctant to try new things in the classroom. More so the older teacher than the new ones, but I kind of agree with the older ones. If their method of teaching has been working for years and years, why would they want to try something new? It may not be fair to children who are in the 21st century, but learning the old fashioned way is better. It also seems that children learn at a very early age how to use technology just in their home lives. Now as the older teachers are replaced by new teachers I think that the new teachers should use the new technology so they are not using older ways of teaching. My feelings about technology in the classroom are very mixed, but all in all I know I am excited to learn new technology and get excited when I do learn something new!

I did not feel that I communicated with my group at all. There were no emails or phone messages. But I did think the Google Presentation where only the three of us could edit it was neat. Again that goes back to never seizing to be amazed by technology these days.

8 comments:

  1. I thought that it was interesting to see what you are doing in your class. I agree that it is great that through Google we can create documents of different types without having to pay the large price for Microsoft Office. I liked your groups power point. I think that the videos supported the information you were relating. Also, I liked that you placed links at the end with additional resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rebecca and think that Google is a fantastic inexpensive tool for creating documents. I paid for Microsoft Office on my computer a couple years ago, without knowing that there was another option out there. I think that is what often happens with teachers. They are so interested in what they already know, that they don't want to change their views to utilize new tools in the classroom that are often times more efficient.

    I enjoyed the videos you incorporated into your presentation, especially the vision of K-12 students today. With technology becoming such a huge part of our world, I think that it needs to be implemented into the classroom more often than it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great presentation, I can see that you want to work with elementary level children. One drawback was the video on the second slide was a little long, but it was very informative and I liked the end where it says the dinosaur’s time has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this presentation. The videos were effective and asking why are we denying students creativity. Also jobs are requiring knowledge of technology. It was also great having links in the end so educators can learn how to use technology effectively. I also feel the same way with all the new stuff we are learning in class I never knew google had all these great features. I can't wait to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that the presentation was very good and In a way you are right about teachers switching over to new things it can be hard and hard to witch if you've been doing something for a while and it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your powerpoint. The layout is awesome. You bring up some very valid points, and I like how you talk about certain websites. I can't see your evaluation form though :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don’t necessarily agree with your statement about older teaching methods that have worked for years. I don’t think that the education system is working, and hasn’t for a while. I hope that you embrace change and that this class inspires you and your thought on technology in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Google is a great tool for us as teachers to use! I do not agree with the idea that old methods are working, our educational system has changed a lot in the past years, which is why a lot of standards are changing and their is such a widespread change to implement the common core standards. I think ALL teachers should be open for change.

    ReplyDelete